Position: Adventure Specialist
Job Type: Full-time, seasonal
Total positions hired: 1
Duration: 9.5 weeks; typically the 2nd weekend in June through the second weekend in August
This person will generally answer to and receive assignments from the Program Director. This position was created for a person who is skilled in a variety of adventure programs and passionate about helping kids challenge themselves within a safe environment. This role must be filled by a person who is safe, well-trained, flexible, energetic, and willing to adapt as the needs of the summer develop. This position is filled by a capable leader.
- Manage the climbing wall using industry standards, training and always helping campers challenge themselves in a safe environment
- Assist with training and then supervision of counselors in ropes course leadership, safety, proper use of equipment, and work toward proficiency in skills
- Implement the low ropes course by leading one or two cabin groups through a variety of low ropes activities on a daily basis.
- Lead overnight backpacking trips for campers and CIT’s.
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures for adventure challenge activities off site and on camp premises
- Oversee adventure elements’ maintenance and upkeep with regular check of equipment
- Provide feedback (and implement approved ideas) to continue to improve the BBC Adventure Program
- Meet with Program Director as regularly scheduled each week
- Miscellaneous program and facility tasks (cleaning, setup/clean up of events such as cookouts, theme days etc.)
- Life Guard (we will provide training if needed)
- Minimum of 21 years of age
- Strong working knowledge of ropes/challenge course equipment, maintenance, safety, operation and training- Level 2 Challenge Course certification preferred
- Experience leading overnight backpacking trips
- Experience facilitating Low Ropes teambuilding
- Preferred previous experience working with youth in a camp setting
- Up to $900 additional if participating in support a staff
- Room and board (even during the weekends!)
- Pay raise if you return for more than one summer
Support a Staff: Through the Support a Staff program you can add up to $900 to your salary for the summer. Your goal is to raise an additional $450, and BBC will match the amount you raise. Any additional money raised will be put into the Support a Staff fund. We’ll provide you with a great sample letter to send out to friends, family, or your church.
Many of our staff come back year after year, and we love that! We try to encourage all of our staff to return by offering them a pay raise for each summer they return!