Explorer: Jun 28 – Jul 3 (Ages 12-14)
Ages 12 -14; Jun 28 – Jul 3
The Explorer Session at BBC is geared to help campers have fun, make friends, learn more about God as revealed through Jesus Christ, themselves, and nature while interacting with the community around them. This session especially recognizes the unique age of Junior High and aims to bridge the gap between elementary school and high school by allowing more options to choose and space to experience decision making and an explorer only event: MIDDLE SCHOOL MADNESS!
Read on for more details about Explorer week or watch a clip from Explorer Week 2013 here:
Explorer campers have opportunity to experience adventure while meeting new people and reuniting with friends from previous summers. Different activities occur each day that bring the entire camp together including…
- JUMP START
- FREE TIME
- POND TIME
- GROUP GAMES
- THEME DAY ACTIVITIES
Other daily activities promote family style community within shelter groups…
- Meal Times: Each meal is cooked over the fire at shelter sites
- Shelter Chats: sharing together as a shelter group
- ALL CAMP GAMES: Shelters work together against other shelters to win All Camp games such as MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!!
- SLEEP OUTS: Enjoy our new treehouses and gaze at the stars through the skylights as you curl up around the trees that run directly through the inside of these 20-foot-high homes.
Individuals are encouraged to grow and friendships flourish in all activities. A typical day during Explorer week goes something like this…
- JUMP START – A morning gathering where the whole camp comes together to gear up for an exciting day, sing songs and receives something to ponder from the camp shepherd.
- Shelter Chats – A time to hear from your counselor and fellow campers and share from your own life as you develop a community with your shelter.
- Cabin Choice: The cabin can choose a traditional BBC Cabin Challenge OR decide as a group how they’d like to spend cabin time.
- INTEREST GROUPS: campers choose between Archery, Survival, Creative Corner, Drama, slingsohts, Fishing, Cardplaying, Ukulele’s, Woodworking, Outdoor Adventure and a variety of others.
- POND TIME: Kayaking, Rocking the Pond, Jumping off the water trampoline and being launched by a counselor off the LAUNCHER or earning points for your shelter by running the length of the LOG and oh so much more…
- GROUP GAMES: Gold Rush, All Property Games, Never Ending Dodge ball (NED), Capture the Frisbees, Tag Games, and additional games that are unique to BBC.
- FIRESIDE: to close out the day the entire camp meets at the Overlook, the Pavilion or the Old Orchard to sing songs, see skits, and talk with the Camp Shepherd about the theme for the day.
No day looks the same during Explorer week. Each day has a special theme…
- Wet N Wild Wednesday: Polar Bear Swim, Water Balloon Launchers, Slip N Slide, Jump Contest, Sponge Challenge, Cookout at the Pond
- Messy Monday: Pig Trough Ice Cream, Extreme Mudball, Messy Twister, Shaving Cream Smear, Snow Ball Splurge
- Theatre Thursday: Campers, Staff and Counselors share their gifts, jokes, songs and skits with the entire camp at Camp at the Cinema.
- Middle School Madness: Jr High Events dispersed throughout the week possibly including: The Shin Dig, All Camp Creek Hike, Minute to Win It Games, BBC Big Screen,
The week finishes up with Fun Filled, Favorite, Farewell Friday
- Campers pick their favorite activities
- Participate in a Theme Event such as a Luau or Barn Party, etc
- Share the week with family at Friday Night Fireside
The week is stimulating and exciting for a youth with any interest from any background and we work hard to assure campers a memorable week of friendship, fun, and faith in God’s great outdoors…We can’t wait for you to join us!