Discoverer: Jul 19-24 (Ages 11-13)
Ages 11-13; July 19-24
The Discoverer Session at BBC is geared to help youth examine the world around them and wonder aloud about the changes happening in their lives while spending time in nature, with other youth, and exploring how faith fits into life. This session also seeks to help campers explore independence within community, offering more choices than sessions for younger ages.
Read on to learn more of the specifics about Discoverer or watch the video from Discoverer 2013:
Discoverer campers spend time together as an entire community to give ample opportunity to make many friends and continue to build on existing relationships throughout the week. All Camp activities include…
- JUMP START
- POND TIME
- GROUP GAMES
- PAVI PLAY (FREE TIME)
Other activities are geared to foster community within each shelter:
- Meal Times: Each meal is cooked over the fire at shelter sites
- Shelter Chats: sharing together as a shelter group
- Cabin Challenges – creek hikes, Geocaching, Frisbee Golf, GaGa, service adventure, cooperation course
- ALL CAMP GAMES: Shelters work together against other shelters to win All Camp games such as MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!!
- SLEEP OUTS: Enjoy BBC tree houses and gaze at the stars through the skylights as you curl up around the trees that run directly through the inside of these 20-foot-high homes.
Individuals are encouraged to grow and friendships flourish in all activities. A typical day during Discoverer week goes something like this…
- JUMP START – A morning gathering where the whole camp comes together to gear up for an exciting day, sing songs and receive something to ponder from the camp shepherd.
- Shelter Chats– A time to hear from your counselor and fellow campers and share from your own life as you develop a community with your shelter.
- CABIN CHALLENGE: A challenge for your shelter to enjoy as a team: anything from conquering the creek hike to completing BBC’s cooperation course.
- INTEREST GROUPS: campers choose between Archery, Origami, Drama, Creative Corner, Lacrosse, Ukulele’s, Birdhouses, OutdoorAdventure and a variety of others.
- POND TIME: Kayaking, Rocking the Pond, Fishing, Jumping off the water trampoline and being launched by a counselor off the BLOB or earning points for your shelter by running the length of the LOG and other water fun.
- GROUP GAMES: Never Ending Dodge ball (NED), Capture the Frisbee, Tag Games, and additional games that are unique to BBC.
- FIRESIDE: to close out the day the entire camp meets at the Overlook, the Pavilion or the Old Orchard to sing songs, see skits, and talk with the Camp Shepherd about the theme for the day.
No day looks the same during Discoverer week. Each day has a special theme…
- Wet N Wild Wednesday: Polar Bear Swim, Water Balloon Launchers, Slip N Slide, Jump Contest, ponge Challenge, Cookout at the Pond
- Messy Monday: Pig Trough Ice Cream, Mud Soccer, Shaving Cream Smear No Silverware, Sock Boppers
- Theatre Thursday: Campers, Staff and Counselors share their gifts, jokes, songs and skits with the entire camp at Camp at the Cinema
The week finishes up with Fun Filled, Favorite, Farewell Friday
- Campers pick their favorite activities
- Participate in the BBC CARNIVAL!
- Share the week with family at Friday Night Fireside
The week is stimulating and exciting for a child with any interest from any background and we work hard to assure campers a memorable week of friendship, fun, and faith in God’s great outdoors…We can’t wait for you to join us!