Job Type: Full-time, Seasonal
Total positions hired: 10 (5 male, 5 female)
Duration: 9 weeks; typically the 2nd week in June through the second weekend in August.
A counselor at Bethany Birches Camp is responsible for 4-8 children’s safety, fun quotient, discipline and experience throughout a week of camp.
- Take time to know each camper, encourage and discipline in loving ways
- Cook meals over camp fire and involve campers in the cooking
- Participate in worship and lead Bible study times
- Guide campers through daily activities
- Attend daily staff meetings, occasional weekend events and staff enrichment exercises
- Be aware of your campers whereabouts, activities and behavior
- Maintain a safe environment at all times
- Have fun!!
A counselor should have a deep desire to share God’s love with those around him/her, especially campers. This person should be able to relate well with other people, live in close community with other staff, be silly, exhibit great leadership, creatively interact with youth, and be responsive to the direction of leadership. This person should be able to articulate a faith founded on Jesus Christ both in words and actions. It is important that a counselor has an understanding of Christian religion and how it can be relevant today.
Minimum age: 19
- Up to $900 additional if participating in support a staff
- Room and board (even during the weekends!)
- Pay raise if you return for more than one summer
Support a Staff: Through the Support a Staff program you can add up to $900 to your salary for the summer. Your goal is to raise an additional $450, and BBC will match the amount you raise. Any additional money raised will be put into the Support a Staff fund. We’ll provide you with a great sample letter to send out to friends, family, or your church.
Many of our staff come back year after year, and we love that! We try to encourage all of our staff to return by offering them a pay raise for each summer they return!